The good news is that we have gotten the code up and running for updating dynamic values on the screens.
The bad news is that once we started updating patches, they all ran out of SRAM. We understand that this is caused because the Axoloti patcher compiles for performance, not footprint. If you call a function and call it again outside of a loop, it will make two copies in the instruction code. We took a look at the code and even if we optimized the code, we would still be eating a huge chunk of the synthesizer program space.
We’ve decided that we’re going to add a microcontroller to the design to handle the overhead and free up the Axoloti core to do what it does best. There is an upgrade path for the existing beta users when we get it completed. We are expecting to have this feature integrated into the spring update.
We’re going to do an efficacy test by building a benchtop flying wire prototype and report back what we find.